Kimball Hall was dedicated on January 4, 1935. It was named for Rev. Charles Kimball, S.J. (1880-1934) He was a Classics and Modern Languages professor from 1915-1930. He also served as the Faculty Librarian from 1927-1934.
Kimball Hall reflects the same Renaissance Revival style as that used for the Library and the Chapel. This main entrance is surmounted by the inscription “Hospes venit, Christus venit” (a guest comes; Christ comes) and leads to dining facilities able to seat approximately 1,200 students.
Kimball's symmetrical façade emphasizes an arched entrance flanked by ionic columns supporting a horizontal entablature. On either side are tall rectangular windows surmounted by occuli (round windows) of a wreath design framed by draped material. In the center of the quad is the statue of Christ the King, gift of Frederick Kane, class of 1909. The architects integrated the building into the side of the hill, rising through five levels.
The building also included a laundry as well as a bowling ally which was turned into a movie theater. The theater was renovated and rededicated Seelos Theater in 2011. Seelos Theater is named in honor of Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, C.Ss.R. (1819-1867), the Redemptorist priest and missionary, known for his tireless work with the poor and immigrant communities in the United States. He was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 2000.
“Kimball Hall,” Mapping Holy Cross, accessed January 26, 2022, http://hcdigitalscholarship.com/MappingHolyCross/items/show/11.