The origins of Holy Cross are traced to Rev. James Fitton, the first Catholic priest of Worcester. In 1836 Fr. Fitton established a boarding school for boys above the age of eight, naming it Mount Saint James Seminary after his patron saint. The original building was located near present day Fenwick Hall. The printed advertisement for the institution shows a sketch for the original building, although its accuracy is unknown. The advertisement dates to 1838 according to the letter penned on the back.
“Mount St. James Seminary,” Mapping Holy Cross, accessed March 3, 2021, http://hcdigitalscholarship.com/MappingHolyCross/items/show/2.