O'Kane Hall was named for Rev. Michael O"Kane, S.J. (1849-1918) who served as Holy Cross's 11th President from 1889-1893. O'Kane was built as a wing of Fenwick. The first and second floors held classrooms, a museum, laboratories, rector’s office, and a large hall called Fenwick Hall (currently Fenwick Theater). The third floor of O’Kane held rooms for seniors, while the top floor held an open dormitory. The basement included a recreation room and gymnasium, complete with inside track. The total cost of construction was $182,000.
O'Kane was opened on April 25, 1895 and a dedicatory concert was given in the newly built gymnasium. O'Kane also served as the student library until Dinand Library opened in 1927.