Carlin Hall, originally called Loyola Hall, was named for Rev. James J. Carlin, S.J., 17th President of Holy Cross. Carlin's cornerstone was was laid on June 20, 1922. The name change ocured in 1941 to honor the late Rev. Carlin, S.J. Rev. Carlin was responsible for raising the funds to build Loyola Hall. This Loyola Hall, as well as the current Loyola Hall were named in honor of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus.