Building Development on College HillView Fullscreen
Mapping Holy Cross is a digital mapping project created to document the development of College Hill since the founding of Fitton Academy in 1836. At that time, the land was owned by Rev. James Fitton, the first Catholic priest of Worcester. In 1843, he donated the land to Bishop Benedict Joseph Fenwick, who started the College of the Holy Cross.
We would like to acknowledge that the campus sits on traditional Nipmuc land. Please visit our Nipmuc History page for more information on the Native population who inhabited this area.
This map demonstrates the creation of buildings on the college campus over time.
Built before 1900
Built between 1900-1949
Built between 1950-1999
Built after 2000
HOW TO USE THE MAP:
- Navigate the different buildings by clicking on the timeline or hovering over a purple dot in the map.
- By selecting an item (through timeline or map), the building will become highlighted in red.
- Once a building is selected, you will see a pop-up image of the building. To read about the building's history and view more images, click the "View Building Information" link under the building title.
For an aerial comparison of campus between the years 1966 and 1988, view our Aerial Comparison page.
For a full list of building descriptions, please visit our All Buildings page.