Alumni Hall was built in 1905. It's cornerstone, which reads "This first stone testifies to the love of the alumni of Holy Cross, for alma mater," was laid on May 22, 1905 by Bishop Thomas D. Beaven. Among the contents of the cornerstone's box are a Holy Cross catalog and Purple from 1905; a Worcester Telegram from May 23, 1905; coins minted in 1905 and the names of the architects that designed Alumni Hall.
On the interior, the central corridor for Alumni Hall appears much the same way today. The building was designed to be completely fireproof, made of brick, steel, and concrete. In 1940, the physics lab was located in Alumni Hall. The building was not used exclusively as a dormitory, but also contained classrooms and a chemistry laboratory. Tennis courts were once located outside of the building where the pathways and roads to Kimball Hall currently lay.
“Alumni Hall,” Mapping Holy Cross, accessed September 29, 2023, http://hcdigitalscholarship.com/MappingHolyCross/items/show/6.